Sunday, June 30, 2013

Paris - Day Three

Ah, day three in Paris...this was filled with The Louvre and the Musee d'Orsey. Both museums and both wonderful; however, I have to say that I was disappointed with The Louvre. For being such a world renowned museum, the audio guide was sparce...they didn't talk about every work of art, just some of them. It was also crowded and all the signs were in French only. Now, I realize that we were in France, but English is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world. You would think that they would have explanations in English...but no. The problem with that is that I got bored looking at everything...sometimes I like to read.

Anyhow, I got some great shots of various statues and paintings...one of the most awesome was of the Mona Lisa. The reason it was awesome was not because of the painting itself, or the size (as it was very small) but because it is such a coveted work of art that it was just neat to be in its presence. 
Yes, that is some dudes head. It was hard to get a good shot because there were SO many people there. This was the best shot. Other than that, most items were beautiful, but I can't tell you what they are because everything was in French...argh! Here are some of the highlights.




And this one...The Code of Hammurabi. According to what Nicole has told me about this piece, it was the first written code/law in human history.

There is writing on it...I promise, it is just not legible to me so I didn't include it.

After the Louvre, we went to the Musee d'Orsey which has a lot of great works. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to bring in cameras so I had to snap some on the DL. Hopefully these look familiar.

If you guess Van Gogh, you are correct...a gold star for you. Starry Night was quite an impressive piece in person. Pictures and prints just don't do it justice. I throughly enjoyed the Musee d'Orsey as it had a great audio guide and the plaques were in English as well as French. 

After this long day of museums, we headed back to our neighborhood to look for something to eat. We were going to get Rotisserie chicken and wine and cheese and bread, but all the stores were closed, save for a few restaurants. So, we went to Cafe Charlot, near our apartment, had a great dinner and went to bed. This was going to be our last day in Paris as in the morning we were hitching a train to Marseille to see Rachel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment