Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pierce - Age: 11 weeks

Pictures....and some thoughts. 

It's its 730am on Sunday morning the 23rd. Pierce has been home for just over two weeks now. As I sit here watching him, so Nicole can get some much needed sleep, I am reminded the little things in life that we take for granted...breathing, swallowing, eating. 

It never occurred to me that I would be the parent of a disabled/handicapped child. But you know what I have realized...you figure it out. Children don't come with owners manuals. Well babies or otherwise. Modern medicine is amazing. 

I am so very thankful for all the support I have received from friends and family. It has been so wonderful and thoughtful.  All the nice emails, gifts, food, etc...It has been overwhelmingly nice. 

I am also so grateful for my colleagues and the company that I work for. Everyone has been understanding and interested in how Pierce is doing. It is so wonderful to have a work family who is that supportive. The insurance that my company provides is top notch and I am so grateful that it is available to Pierce. Without my insurance, Nicole's insurance and Obamacare, we would likely be bankrupt. 

A thank you to the wonderful people at Children's National Medical Center. They were fantastic and have given Nicole and me the skills to take care of our little man. They were great, caring, thoughtful and gave him such good care. 

Thank you to all the folks in Hyattsville. Thank you for taking us in when we moved and being such great friends. You all have been fabulous. 

Pierce has such a great group of people loving and pulling for him and for that I am grateful. I was watching the Olympics last night and they had a piece on this young girl who is a Paralympic Olympian in swimming and was born with two missing lower legs. She was adopted from Russia and lives in Baltimore. She mentioned in the piece, as she was heading to see her biological mother and father, that being disabled hasn't stopped her from doing anything. She learned early on how  to walk with prosthetics and is an extremely happy and talented young woman.  Pierce is going be that way too. As Dan said, he is going to be a beast. 

Right now he is kicking and moving and having fun on his play mat. I am very proud of him. 

Thank you all for your love and support.

Thank you Pierce for being strong and reminding me of all the small wonderful things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment