Saturday, February 8, 2014

Pierce - Age: Nine weeks

In talking with Nicole, she recommends that I start taking his age in weeks so going forward, that is what I will do.

Pierce is officially home! Yay! We are excited and terrified at the same time. Currently we have 24 hour nursing and are going to keep that through the weekend and then reevaluate. The problem is that my insurance will only pay for 80% of the nursing cost and it is not cheap. But of course, we need to keep Pierce safe so we will see how it goes. The 24 hour nursing is supposed to end after week one anyway until we get adjusted to how to care for him during the day. We will need nursing through the night as right now, I didn't wake up to his alarms....I need to work on that as well. It will come, I'm sure.

Anyhow, he has now been home for a full 36 hours. He seems to be doing great and we are learning to take care of him in our home. It is a little but different than the hospital but that is to be expected. We just rearranged his room last night to work better for us with all the equipment that we have in the room and to get a suitable line of vision for the nurses.

He had his first pediatrician appointment yesterday. I met Nicole and the nurse at the docs because I was at work. That was tough for sure. It was the first time out if the house and boy was that nerve wracking, for me not being there and for Nicole having to it, but all in all he was fine and everything went well. The doctor is nice, we like the practice and even called them this morning for a question that we had about his not pooping in over 12 hours which I guess is normal and fine. Nicole and I are both happy with the choice.

It is now a weekend and we are going to bring him downstairs on his nose (a little filtered piece that goes over the trach that he can breathe through without being hooked up to the humidifier. We are going to put him in his pack and play and see how he likes being downstairs with digs and the fam.

I think it will be a great day. Here are some pictures from leaving the NICU to getting home, to him being in his room.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing. He has wonderful parents to take care of him. Stay strong

    ReplyDelete